Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Twenty-Five Things That Made Genesee County Famous: #13 The Pembroke Driver's Ed Accident

On June 10, 1987, the community was rocked when a car driven by a drunk driver slammed head on into a driver’s education car from Pembroke Central Schools. The lives of three students and their teacher tragically ended that day.

How Did It Make Genesee County Famous?

The accident was picked up by news agencies around the country, and the tragedy spurred the community into action. People became advocates, and that is one of the ways the community started to heal.

Community members went out and told their story. They told it to the newspapers, on television, on radio and even in front of Congress.

Their advocacy led to changes in New York State laws. The reason New York State Drivers licenses are stamped, “Under 21” is because of the people of Pembroke. They also lobbied successfully to make it a crime to possess alcohol under the legal drinking age and had the blood alcohol content lowered from .10% to .08%.


Click Here to Listen



http://www.hollandlandoffice.com/podcasts/13pdea.mp3


Read the Podcast text and more here



1 comment:

wildbilllabrador said...

I live on Rte 5, right here in East Pembroke, NY. On the day of this accident, I was returning to East Pembroke in my over the road tractor, having just dropped the trailer at the Checkerboard Restaurant. I was the first on the scene, before the cars came to a screeching halt. A deputy sheriff drove up, ordered me to drive on, I said I saw what happened, who was driving, etc, did no good, he didn't want to know anything. Two workers were ordered back to the bridge. I left for Florida monday morning. I did follow what seemed a farce of a trial. I am a close family friend, it pains me that most people were satisfied with the result, I wasn't. Too many locals and out of town vehicles speed thru our little town, god only knows how many are drunk or near drunks there is on any given day. Asa former over the road driver with a class a CDL safe driver license, there is zero tolerance for alcohol for me, fine I would not have it any other way.. I quit casual drinking many years ago, I have absolutely no sympathy for neighbors you read about every day, DUI, they deserve more than the law provides. This incident is so ground into my minds eye, because I knew so many of the students families. Incidentally, the speed limit from Indian Falls Road to Hartshorn Road should be 35 MPH and actively enforced. Bill Loucks